28 December 2006

proenza, p robinson, and the would've-been pilferer

I posted pictures from Proenza Schouler for Target's lookbook back in early November and here's another mouthwatering snapshot of those almost iconic bra tops.



Drool, drool, drool! Is everyone ready for spring? They're $50 a pop, but that's nothing compared to their Proenza Schouler pieces, which fetch up to hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Through love from nitro:licious. (To would-be pilferers) Yes, you credit your source(s) without hesitation!



When Jack and Lazaro exit, in comes Patrick Robinson, as reported by WWD.

In the April 2005 issue of Vogue, André Leon Talley comments on Robinson's youthful appearance, saying, "Robinson, who is 38 but looks eighteen." He doesn't even look like he has a kid, not that I associate fatherhood with a certain image. I want to know his secret! Which now I know. Genes. Genes that I never got and will never get!

I don't know how his Target collection will turn out, but I hope it's another good one. Fresh off Parsons, he revived Armani Collezioni, and then worked for Anne Klein in the mid 1990s. Following his stint at Anne, he launched his signature line, which did not last as long as he had hoped.

In 2003, the relaunch of Perry Ellis' high-end womenswear line highlighted Robinson behind the reins. By Spring 2005, Public Clothing Company ceased production on his collection. Though well-received and widely lauded, Robinson's Perry Ellis was unable to yield substantial profit.

Last year in January, he started working at Paco Rabanne as creative director and completely reworked the house's looms. With the original designer's showstopping unwearability left behind, he did produce beautiful clothes. Sadly, in June of this year, Paco Rabanne decided not to ship its Fall/Winter collection and Patrick Robinson bid adieu.

Although Target is completely different territory, and the target demographic is far more diverse, I want Patrick Robinson to do well. It's not pleasant to see someone so talented not thrive in this industry. I hope in a way, this will help him build another base to go on to bigger and better projects and hopefully, his Go International collection will recall the youthful splendor he created at Perry Ellis.

Verification of some information consulted from Blacks Retail Analysis and the April 2005 issue of Harper's Bazaar.


To complete tonight's P trifecta, I discovered something truly heinous this month. Someone had unwittingly taken one of my model interviews on my blog and made it look like it was their own. If not for my own personal request for the blogger at fault to credit me for the interview, and if I hadn't warned a fellow legitimate blogger that one of the blogs under her blogroll is housing a copy-and-paste stockpile, I don't think that said blogger would have given credit where credit is due.

I wanted to make a overt example of how to cite sources, and I did that in the earlier portion of this post. There are so many ways of doing it, as long as you make it crystal clear that you've taken something from someone else and you're telling your readers that such material was not created by you. I also think it would be best to ask permission first, and I thank Wendy from Nitro:licious (which is a brilliant blog, by the way!) for letting me use the Proenza Schouler photo.

It's so easy to copy and paste these days. I urge every single blogger to include sources or credits for material they did not write and/or photos they did not take. Not to do so is a faux pas, fashion or otherwise.

Posted by ilovesecondhandsmoke @ 8:34 PM